Michigan school shooting of teenager slated for September 6 trial

0

DETROIT, AP — A judge set a Sept. 6 trial date Thursday for a teenager charged with murder and other crimes in a Michigan school shooting who killed four students.

Oakland County Judge Kwame Rowe said the date could change, but he wanted to set one to “move this case forward”.

Ethan Crumbley, who turns 16 next week, is accused of shooting fellow students at Oxford High School on November 30.

Rowe revealed the trial date during a brief hearing in Pontiac which is scheduled to take place every 30 days because Crumbley is a juvenile being held in a county jail. He is separated from the adults.

Assistant District Attorney Kelly Collins said the state’s Center for Forensic Psychiatry has completed a report on the teen’s mental health at the time of the shooting and whether he could be held criminally responsible.

The finding was not disclosed to the court. The prosecutor’s office later said it could not discuss it publicly. A message seeking comment was left with defense attorney Paulette Loftin, who indicated in January that she would pursue a defense against madness.

Separately, the boy’s parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, are accused of manslaughter. Prosecutors say they ignored warning signs of their son’s mental health and did not keep a gun out of his reach at home.

They are in jail, unable so far to post $500,000 bail. The couple’s lawyers deny the allegations.

___

For more on AP coverage of the Michigan school shooting: https://apnews.com/hub/oxford-high-school-shooting

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Share.

Comments are closed.