Two lawsuits targeting $ 100 million each have been filed against a Michigan school district, its superintendent, principal and others after four students were shot and injured at Oxford High School, announced Thursday a lawyer.
The lawsuits were filed in federal court in Detroit, attorney Geoffrey Fieger said. They were filed on behalf of a student who was shot in the neck and injured in the November 30 shooting, and her sister, who was next to her at the time of the shooting.
Named in costumes are the Oxford Community School District; the superintendent, Timothy Throne; Oxford High School Principal Steven Wolf; the dean of students; two advisers; two teachers and one staff member.
The Associated Press sent an email Thursday seeking comment from the district.
Ten students and a teacher were shot dead at the school in Oxford Township, about 30 miles north of Detroit.
Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old sophomore at the school, was arrested at the school and charged as an adult with murder, terrorism and other crimes.
His parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, were later charged with manslaughter and arrested.
Personal injury attorneys have expressed doubts the school district can be successfully prosecuted for letting Crumbley stay in school.
This is because Michigan law sets the bar high to wrest liability from public schools and other branches of government.
The weapon used in the shooting had been purchased days earlier by James Crumbley, and their son had full access to it, prosecutors said.
The morning before shooting school officials met Ethan Crumbley and his parents after a teacher found a drawing of a gun, a bullet, and a person who appeared to have been shot, along with messages indicating “My life is useless” and “The world is dead”.
The Crumbleys “categorically refused” to bring their son home, Throne said.