Judge orders Michigan school shooter’s name not to be used during parents’ trial

0

Michigan school shooter suspect’s name will not be used in parents’ criminal trial after judge grants prosecutor’s request, The Associated Press reported.

In a motion filed earlier this month, Oakland County District Attorney Karen McDonald said in a statement that she does not want the shooter’s name used in public records or spoken in court, alleging that 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley wanted to be famous, the news outlet noted.

“The shooters want to be famous,” the prosecutor said, according to the AP. “That’s one of the main motivations for most shooters, and it was certainly a motivation for the Oxford shooter. He wanted to be famous and he wanted to be remembered.

McDonald said she did not want to potentially contribute to a future school shooting by publicizing her name, adding that prosecutors did not use her name in court briefs or when speaking in court.

“Calling the shooter by name does not appear to be relevant to this proceeding and prohibiting its use does not appear to prejudice the defense in any way,” Oakland County Circuit Judge Cheryl Matthews wrote in her ruling, according to the AP.

The development comes as the 15-year-old faces two dozen charges for allegedly killing four students and injuring seven others in a school shooting in Oxford, Michigan in November.

His parents have each been charged with manslaughter, with prosecutors citing the accessibility of the weapon and their continued attendance at school despite a meeting with school officials who raised concerns about the teenager.

The Michigan judge, noting that both parents were represented by attorneys from the same firm, also appointed independent counsel for them, AP reported.

“Appointment of counsel will not replace the defendants’ current counsel of choice or to report to this court,” Matthews noted, according to the newswire.

Shannon Smith declined to comment on behalf of herself and Mariell Lehman, who each represent one of the parents, but noted that in their written responses they did not object to the teenager’s name not be used in court or on the appointment of independent counsel.

Updated March 23 at 3:00 p.m.

Share.

Comments are closed.